Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Crescendo


It’s been a few years since a sound began to well up inside me. Six notes, the third stretched like dough from head to belly, the last three drifting downward. 

Ain’t no words for it, really. I’ve been doubled over in the thick wheat field of its origins my whole life, but in 2012, Crescendo. I’m not a musician but I understand the mass inside humanity that cannot be expressed in our imperfect, hollow utterances and alphabet shells. As a writer, I seek. I look for hands reaching back across this chasm between us. Through the unsteady fortress of time, tenuous prehensile memory, past consciousness and into the hearts of all life forms.

Today, I walked beneath massive willow oaks, stripped bare and dampened by winter. I wondered if the time ever comes when my mind goes completely, will the bony fingers and wide spread of their hands bend down to gobble up the houses, built by man, and pull them down into the sweet, red earth?

You will say I speak in abstracts. In metaphors. Melvin Udall, a favorite film character from As Good As It Gets, (1997) would say, “People who talk in metaphors should shampoo my crotch.” Maybe, he’s right.

Let’s get concrete as shit, then.

This past year has left me
wounded
beyond my capacity to understand.

Yet, it was also peppered with success and joy, oftentimes back to back. Some will say that is the way of things. The sweet with the sour. Darkness and light. Extremes birthed in fire.

Last winter I:

Could not
see the end of my MFA program.
figure how I’d ever survive thesis writing and defense.
find the ending for my first novel.
cope with Ben being on the road so much.
                        get on the right medication.

Knew
time with some of the animals and humans I loved most in this world grew thin.

Cooked
a shit ton of cornbread.
drunk resulting in a round scar on my wrist.

Fell
            on an icy street in Chicago running behind people who didn’t care.

Skated
            for the first time since 1989.

Last spring I:

            Planted
                        old bean seeds I hoped would grow.
                       
            Finished
                        writing my thesis.
                        my MFA in fiction.
                        reading so many books I lost count.

            Continued
                        writing a novel that scared the shit out of me.
                        feeling lonesome and sorry for myself and drinking too much.
                        walking dogs.
                        cooking, baking, brewing.

            Traveled
                        to Pittsburgh on my own.
                        to the farmers’ market.
                        to coffee shops and Asian restaurants.
                        to hospitals and nursing homes.
                        to my office.
                        to fictional worlds.
                        toward something, anything but this.

Last summer I:

            Wrote
                        the ending of my first novel.
                        9 flash stories, one called Mama-Scent.
                        1 personal essay, grasping at artistic origin.
                        too many status updates.
                        no letters.
                        many failed poems.

            Longed
                        to bicycle in Vietnam.
                        for one barefoot day of my childhood.
                        to save someone lost at the bottom of a bottle.
                        for my ailing dog’s comfort.
                        to be brave enough to hike the Appalachian Trail.
            Read
                        an excerpt from my thesis to a crowded, room.


            Fought
                        with my mother.

In autumn I:

            Saw
                        the deaths of Mia, Jade and Spooky.
                        their final breaths as I held their paws.
                        the world go blurry from drink.
                        the bathroom floor, again and again.
                        people withdraw, shrink.
                        my face turn unrecognizable, gray and pocked and ringed.
                       
            Held
                        two-week old kittens.
                        my own freckled shoulders.
                        a heart-broken Papillon.

            Punched
                        three different walls, three different times.

            Cried

            Slept

            Left 
                       writing locked up in my desk.


Come winter I:

            Felt
                        Self slip and return.
                        Cold air on my bare neck.
                        Solstice.
                        Twinkle lights and evergreen.
                        My brother’s arms.
                        Kitten breath.
                        Paper.
                        Tape.
                        Agony.
                        Repose.

And so when I look over all these year-end list of accomplishments, what I really wonder about are the failures. The sounds rumbling away in us all that never pass our lips, reach our fingers or our instruments. We cannot all be musicians. We cannot all be artists. But we are all capable of these vast sweeps of emotion, the greater part of us all that cannot expressed in words and in this, I find peace and comfort. Maybe I do talk in metaphors, but maybe you and fictional Mr. Udall will think me less than silly, just this once.

Six notes. The third stretched like dough from head to belly.




           
                       
                       
                       


                       

           
                       
           



5 comments:

  1. As always your writing leaves me speechless and longing for more. Knowing of your struggles this past year I don't know how you made it through, but you did. Not only did you make it through the misery you came out on the other end stronger and wiser. oh yeah and a bad ass new hair cut!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :hug:

    In all of that... all I have to say is this: Blogs are excellent ways to keep track of your reading. :P I use livejournal to make a list and a brief paragraph of reflections and commentary about each. Then, on FB in a Book-It group my friends started, I keep a running list for more people to see. It got to the point that book titles remind me of events in life. When did I listen to Unbearable Lightness of Being? When I had a temp job near the airport in which I did NOTHING for a couple months and got paid for it. When did I listen to Out of Africa and House of the Scorpion? When I interned for Autumn House Press.

    It's amazing how these stories are starting to shape our lives.

    One day, when you get that novel published, I will be one of the first to buy it and request that you sign it for me. ^_^ Then, I shall add you to my Signed shelf, right next to Matt. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose I really should blog and keep track of each book at this point since I no longer have to do so for class. You are funny, though, Nicole to focus on something completely outside the emotional aspects of this blog. Well side-stepped, dear. ;) And you are right, I would not be the person I am had I not read often and widely. When I feel changed, that's when I know a book is good. That's how you know it matters. I hope my work will do that for someone, someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Often, it is better to make someone smile. Humor is my defense mechanism for other people, too. I figured you needed that more than sympathetic words. We briefly talked about most of this over Facebook anyway.

      And someday it will. Your thesis pops into my mind at least a couple times a month. Something always makes me think back to it. I can't wait to read the finish product and see how much has changed and how you ended it.

      Delete